Saturday, April 28, 2007

About Me


Apparently there is a character limit to the "About Me" section on my blog template. So, I'm sharing it as a post instead ...

I live in the beautiful city of Seattle that has everything going for it, except public transportation. My parents, inlaws, and siblings also live in Seattle, which I greatly appreciate since there is always someone available to hear me rant during a commute call. It’s also pretty great having a cheering squad behind you as you parent your own children, providing encouragement, wisdom, and multiple relievers when I can’t manage another game of Uno. The only down side with everyone being so close is that there are more people to notice if I wear the same MOMMY UNIFORM one day too long.

I am married to a wonderful man named Brett. I feel lucky because he loves me even though he hasn’t had a peaceful night’s sleep in 15 years. I don’t want to go into detail here, but suffice it to say, there has been a lot of sleep SHOUTING that would have sent most husbands packing for the guest room years ago. I also appreciate the fact that he is not judgmental about my foot fungus (probably oversharing, huh?)- although, I think this is because he knows in his heart of hearts that he gave it to me on our honeymoon as my “present.”

I got the award for being the outstanding female Gym student in junior high and then went on to get the award for being the outstanding Physics student in high school. I mention this because in my 36 years, I have yet to met a woman physicist who is also an accomplished at badminton. Maybe I missed my calling.

Instead, I do Marketing for a wireless company. This means I get paid to have a lot of opinions and to influence people to use their phone for everything from watching TV to blowdrying their hair. It does NOT mean that I can tell you why your cell phone dropped at 20th and Jackson or how long the battery life is supposed to be on your particular phone model. It does however mean that I am partly responsible for the extra stuff you sometimes find in your bill. My apologies. It’s just that we would very much like for you to please, pretty please, spend some more money with us.

I am a runner when I am not lactating and when it’s not rainy. This means that I probably have a window of 60 days this year to pursue my hobby. I did run a marathon in 2003 and I plan to continue to tell that tale until I’m very old or I pick up another hobby.

I love hazelnut gelato. It is the only single food I believe could sustain me – happily - for days on end. It actually did as a 20 year old backpacking through Italy. I also really like avocados. However, I’m not sure a backpacking trip through Mexico with only the world’s perfect fruit/vegetable? would work out for me in the end.

In addition to having family nearby, I have a great group of friends. I am surprised daily by their generosity and thoughtfulness, and wish that I could have a communal barbeque with all of them every night. Plus, it would help me get rid of that ketchup I bought at Costco last year.

Speaking of barbeques, I do enjoy cooking. I think God knew this when he sent me a house full of boys. He must have wanted me to have ample opportunities for practice. Right now we are practicing eating our bread crusts and experimenting with grains.

I also believe in a God that loves us more than we can even begin to comprehend. That knowledge keeps me going on the good days, but especially on the bad ones.





1 comment:

walshsea said...

Dear Kate and Brett,
This is the first time I've had a chance to view your blog and I just want to say..geez what a nice picture of Brett and you! You should be selling something like vitamins or a book on how to thrive despite having three children or something--you're making it look too easy! I'm forbidding Alice from this blog....
Keep up the good work.
Sean