Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Thanks Blockbuster

Think what you may about Blockbuster getting in hot water with the State Attorney General’s offices for their fraudulent and deceptive “End of Late Fees” advertising campaign. I still think their renamed “Limited Late Fee” policy is a gift to anyone who has trouble flossing every other day, let alone return a video you didn’t have time to watch by 11am. Besides I think there are other companies have been far more egregious with their advertising. I’m sorry but hair color from a box never delivers as promised. And does anyone really believe that Jack-in-the-Box uses 100% sirloin patties. I’m also not sure that I would agree that United has the friendliest skies.

If not for this new policy that basically extends the rental period from 2 days to 30 days with only a $1.25 restocking fee, I would never have known how bad “Mission Impossible III” was. Or wait, did I fall asleep in that one or am I just having a hard time separating Tom Cruise the person from Tom Cruise the actor? Anyway, if not for the 30 day grace period, I probably would never have gotten around to meeting Olive and her goofy family in “Little Miss Sunshine.” And that would have been tragic.

Given the energy level that Brett and I (don’t) have every night after the boys go to bed, it can take several days, sometimes weeks, before our intention to watch a rented movie actually becomes a reality. Most nights we pass on the movie to “read” instead, which really is code for saying “I’m planning to start snoring in the next ten minutes.” Other nights we park ourselves in front of TiVO and watch a little Jon Stewart. Those are typically the nights we’ve endured an epic meltdown and merely need assurance that it’s not only our four year old child who struggles with “making their word gold.” Rummy, Alberto Gonzalez, John Bolton – just to name a few – seem to have that trouble too.

Once or twice during that 30 day window, we muster up the energy to watch one of the handful of movies we've rented. We generally rent three to four at a time so that we have options to choose from depending on our mood. This means that we usually only watch 50% of what we rent. It also means that we will probably have to rent “The Last King of Scotland” for the next six months before we get “in the mood” for that one. Sorry, but even Forest Whitaker’s winning performance can’t hold a candle to checking out Daniel Craig as the new Bond. Or wait, did I fall asleep in that one too? Darn that narcolepsy.

I did make it all the way through “The Freedom Writers” with Hilary Swank this past weekend. I didn’t even need popcorn to stay awake. And although the plot line maybe a bit overdone, it’s good when a movie reminds you that your life is pretty blessed. Thanks Blockbuster. No need to call with my reminder voice mail about my late movies, we got them back just in time for our restocking charge.

No comments: